Friday, March 25, 2016

Promoting my health - through the biggest changes yet!

For starters, I want to thank Kristy, who has a fabulous new blog, for prompting me to write this post tonight!

Remember how we celebrated the first day of spring earlier this week? Well, we did that happy dance, and then this happened:
 
For those of you that have known me for some time - or even if you haven't - I will complain about winter to anyone and everyone that will listen. I've done it for years and I'm sure everyone is tired of it by now. Ha!

I've talked on and on about moving out of Minnesota for YEARS in hopes of ending my annual 6-8 months of dread, depression and reliance on my light therapy lamp. I spend SO much time with my lamp that I feel like I owe it a nice steak dinner with a fancy glass of cabernet and probably a piece of cheesecake, too.

My diligence for having a healthy diet and working out regularly is in large part due to helping ease SAD. However, I have always dreamed of the day that I could just walk outside on the regular without having to worry about which coat I should wear or having to put on these bulky winter boots. And, have a life without having to worry about winter anymore!

I've gotten to the point in my life when I'm truly starting to realize that tomorrow isn't promised and that life can change in a moment. It's out of our control. But, what is in our control is what we do with today. Do I want to look back on my life and say, "Hey, I lived in a place I really didn't want to be for XX years and worked at the same place for XX years. It was a nice, safe life. And I was afraid to leave it all for the unknown."

As of today, I've lived in Minnesota nearly 42 years minus a 5-year stint in Wisconsin (Ooohh! Daring!). I've worked for the same company for nearly 20 of those years, which pretty much everyone views as commendable. And, so do I. My life does not suck! I have a great life married to my best friend, I have a dependable job that pays the bills and then some, and live in a fabulous neighborhood in Minneapolis. However, the SAD plague takes over for extended periods of time. I enjoy doing so many outdoor activities, being near/on the water and taking advantage of eating fresh foods - all of which I can only do in Minnesota for a fourth of the year - if I'm lucky. And, it's FINALLY time to put my health first!

So, after many years of wallowing, we are finally (and appropriately) moving to the SUNSHINE STATE. There's a lot up in the air right now, especially given that I gave notice at my job!!! We'll be leaving the state where we were born and raised, and I'll be leaving the place I've worked for so many years without knowing where I'll land. But, I know it's the right thing to do. I'm already so excited to take advantage of having a new environment, learning new outdoor activities and, most of all, improving my overall health and well-being. Stay tuned for the adventures as they unravel! And, please enjoy below a photo of the beach that will be just a few short miles from me!






2 comments: