Monday, May 9, 2016

Getting back on track during disruptive times

Today is a great reminder about WHY I try to take great care of myself by eating well, drinking plenty of water and exercising regularly! It is so important and directly contributes to feeling well and performing at your best both mentally and physically.

I knew that my last few weeks in Minneapolis would be busy and stressful. I’m trying to pack and sell items we’re not taking with us, finish up my job, and see friends and family. Everything is hectic…and when I come home, there’s nowhere to sit and relax because I sold everything! I'm currently sitting on my friend's lawn chair because we sold our patio set on Saturday.

With this much disruption, my health is suffering a bit of disruption, too. I'm doing pretty well health-wise considering. I'm still getting in at least 10,000 steps every day and lifting weights 3-4 times every week. The weather hasn't been fantastic other than a few days here and there, but we have really been trying to grill our protein and veggies as much as possible.

That said, we ended up eating out (and drinking out) on Friday night with friends at our going away party, then again on Saturday evening for the Kentucky Derby. This is typically a big no-no for us. We ate our Saturday night leftovers last night for dinner, which I still count as "eating out" given the sodium and who knows what else the restaurant put in our delicious food.

This morning I felt bloated and lethargic. It's definitely a direct result of my nutrition (or lack thereof) over the weekend. The difference now is that I recognize how these foods affect me and I can turn it back around quickly. Before I changed my lifestyle, I would consider this type of behavior "off the diet wagon". But, now I don't act like I'm "on a diet" or "off a diet". I try to eat healthy and exercise most days. When things go a bit too far - like they did this past weekend - it's not a free pass to keep treating my body poorly. It's a wake up call to get right back on track.

Today's meals:
  • Breakfast: Green smoothie and coffee
  • Lunch: Kirkland turkey on wheat, fat-free cottage cheese
  • Dinner: Big veggie salad and veggie farfalle
  • Missed my snacks today, but I had lots and lots of water!

No comments:

Post a Comment