Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Going Greek

One of my favorite things to eat is salmon. Tonight I made it for dinner along with my homemade yogurt sauce. I typically make this with non-fat plain yogurt, but tonight I tried Greek yogurt for a change. Honestly, when I bought the Greek yogurt, I didn't really know the difference between it and non-fat plain yogurt. I found the taste to be so much better, so I figured I'd better do some research. Usually better tasting means worse for you. But, I was pleasantly surprised!

8 oz. Greek Non-Fat Yogurt stats:
--121 calories
--151 milligrams calcium
--20 grams protein
--83 milligrams sodium

8 oz. Non-Fat Plain Yogurt stats:
--127 calories
--450 milligrams calcium
--13 grams protein
--175 milligrams sodium

Since I really watch my sodium, this was good news for me. I was disappointed about the calcium difference, but I take a supplement to meet calcium requirements. As far as the taste, I discovered that Greek yogurt is strained to get rid of the liquid that's found in non-fat plain yogurt.

Verdict: I think I've just gone Greek!

No comments:

Post a Comment