Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Small Changes - Big Benefits

I’m always looking for small improvements I can make to look and feel healthier. That’s how I reached my goals in the first place. I would make one small change and focus on that until it was a habit. Then, I’d move onto the next healthy change.

Now, I’m at the point where I have studied the main concepts for quite some time: clean eating + regular activity = healthy body. I aim to try one new clean eating idea each week and I revamp my exercise plans every four to six weeks. But, there is always more to learn!

If you want to try something new, give one of these a try this week:

Apple Cider Vinegar

Origin: Did you know the word vinegar originates from “sour wine”? See, we are off to a good start!

Health benefits: Known to strengthen the immune system and fight infection; known to boost metabolism and stamina.

How to: Be careful when using – it’s strong! One of my previous trainers used to mix it with water, but personally it tastes too awful for me. Instead, I put a tablespoon on salads, soups, sauces or crockpot dishes. Just it in small amounts and you won’t even taste it.

Chia Seeds

Origin: This one goes back to the Aztecs and comes from a plant that is a member of the mint family. It was a very important crop back in the day because it will sustain you for a good amount of time.

Health benefits: Make-up is typically 20% protein (building blocks for muscles and enzymes), 25% fiber (stay fuller longer) and 34% oil a.k.a. Omega-3 fatty acid (good fats that absorb essential vitamins); known to have even higher anti-oxidants than blueberries; gluten-free

How to: Add a tablespoon to cereal or smoothies.

Green Tea

Origin: Associated with many Asian cultures dating back to 4,000 years ago. Folks drank tea, but it was generally used for medicinal purposes.

Health benefits: I cannot say enough about the benefits of green tea! The disease-prevention benefits are countless. But, it’s a great metabolism booster and fat-burner. YAY!

How to: My favorite time to drink it is right before bed. I even make it old school in a kettle on the stove. Just be sure to get decaf! At least two servings a day is recommended, but you can drink up to 10 cups. For a more reasonable option, you can also take this in pill form.

2 comments:

  1. What's you fave brand green tea and how do you make it (like what's your preference/taste)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Bigelow Green Tea with Pomegranate. Usually I throw a couple of cups of water into the tea kettle because I prefer this over heating in the microwave. I add a little bit of honey and cinnamon. Delish!

    ReplyDelete