Saturday, August 8, 2009

Is it easier or more difficult to lose weight during the summer?

My husband and I were discussing weight loss strategies yesterday and talking about what time of year it’s easiest to stay on track with losing weight. I should mention that this conversation happened as we finished our 12+ mile bike ride and stopped to have a beer (read: three beers) on the way home.


His argument was that it was easier to stay on track during the winter because we typically have a planned schedule at the gym and that whole New Year’s resolution thing going on. It’s expected that you cannot be outside to enjoy the weather, so he’s always prepared to hit the gym. Also, there aren’t the temptations summer brings – there’s nothing like a cold beer on a hot day (see above).


My argument is that I get very bored in winter, which leads me to a lot of snacking. I hate being inside all the time and grow tired of having to do all of my workouts indoors. I’m always looking for ways to get out of the house, which usually means going out to eat or drink something I shouldn’t be since there is really nothing else to do. In summer, I tend to shake things up with my workouts each day and crave fresh fruits and veggies. Plus, fewer clothes equals motivation. Sweaters hide flaws.


What are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment