Saturday, August 8, 2009

New recipe: Pork Fajita Casserole

I've been trying to make at least one new meal per week just to spice things up a bit. The salad/grilled chicken dinner can get a bit boring. If you haven't checked out Clean Eating magazine yet, give it a look. It's a fairly new publication, but I really like it.

If you know anything about me, you know that I am not a cook by any means. I just don't have the patience. My recipe requirements are typically: Must have 5 or less ingredients, it cannot take more than 15 minutes to prep and I always modify it a bit to fit my tastes. I broke the rules on this one a bit - 15 ingredients! But, they were all easy to prep.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 large red onion, halved, sliced lengthwise
  • 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced into 1 1/2 inch strips
  • 1/2 green bell pepper, sliced into 1 1/2 inch strips
  • 2 teaspoons canola oil (I used EVOO)
  • 1 pound lean pork cutlet, sliced into 2 inch strips
  • 3 large cloves garlic, sliced
  • 1 tablespoon cumin
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons chile powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 3 medium low-fat whole wheat tortillas, divided (I used the LaTortilla Factory brand. If you haven't tried these, you must! Low calorie and high in fiber!)
  • 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed, divided
  • 2 tomatoes, chopped, divided
  • 1/2 cup baby spinach, divided
  • 1/4 cup low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded 1/2 avocado, diced (I skipped the avocado and used salsa & fat-free sour cream instead.)


INSTRUCTIONS:

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • In a large skillet, saute onion and bell peppers in oil for 5 minutes over medium-high heat. Add pork, garlic, and seasonings. Cook for 8 minutes.
  • Prepare casserole: In an 8x8 inch clear glass dish, begin to layer ingredients. Place 1 tortilla on bottom and add 1/4 of pork-vegetable mixture, 5 ounce black beans, 1/4 cup tomatoes and 1/4 cup spinach.
  • Continue with the second tortilla, following the same order of ingredients and amounts. Sprinkle cheese over top layer. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until top is bubbly. Let cool for 5 to 10 minutes. When serving, top each piece with 2 teaspoons avocado.

My assessment: It was great! Very filling and it will be great for leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment